Monday 20 December 2010

Triumph Spitfire Restoration

Classic British Sports Cars were the main reason I moved into designing and making vinyl stickers. I originally bought a MIni 1275GT in 1988 and this was the first car I 'attempted' to restore and the only part that was unavailable was the 1275GT stripes - www.mini1275gtstripes.co.uk
Anyway onto the Spitfire. The car pictured was my second car, bought in 1989, restored whilst I was in college and used until 1995 when an Austin Maxi ploughed into the back of it. Semi-restored, i.e rear end repaired but then taken off the road in 1997 and it's still undergoing a home restoration.
The plan is to put the car back on the road for the summer of 2011 so it's all systems go. We are also developing the Spitfire 1500 bonnet and boot lid decals ready for application on completion. I hope you enjoy the pics below, I'll keep posting them to keep you up to date with progress:


As you can see the car is Orange and is a 1979 car, wish I had a camera phone earlier on so some of the work has been missed. The above photo shows the rusty passenger floor. This was a new floor fitted in 1990 but had rusted out again (don't you just love these cars). I have already replaced the floor and sills on the drivers side.


A bit too much fresh air here, I tried to cut a few corners by repairing the existing floor which meant that I had already fitted new sills. For an MOT in 1996 I had to have a little bit of welding done to the floor and on closer inspection the guy who did it must have used armour plating as the plate must have been 3mm thick. Another reason to leave the old floor in place. Anyway I eventually came to my senses and decided to do it properly. However not the easiest thing to do with the sill still in place and it took nearly three days to cut out this floor and replace with the new one. Another one of life's lessons - there are no shortcuts.



New B post fitted as well from steelcraft along with new crossmembers on both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment